Saturday, January 22, 2011

Honored By Bridgeport's Black Pride ~ 2011 Woman Who You Should Know



It seems that I haven’t wrapped my head around being honored. Poetry is something I have loved since I was young and Lyrical Voices is something developed out of a necessity to share my art and gather inspiration. While many have explained how they have been helped through this opportunity to listen and share their voice with me; I certainly never took credit for it. I still don’t take credit for this because Lyrical Voices is truly a community effort and my motivation is just as important as your presence and willingness to share your experience through visual art and poetry.

One thing I can say is that it felt good to have our efforts acknowledged. The support in that room was much greater than I imagined. Sitting at that table with my family and friends in full support of these visions I have was affirming. When they called my name and the room rumbled with cheer it was like being hugged with sincere love. That is what I would not trade for the world. There are so many people who walk through life wondering if they are loved or if their efforts are appreciated. There is no question that I feel loved in abundance and I felt that way for a long time. It is not something I take for granted or I expect but it is something that makes me thankful.

So many talented people meet me half way in maintaining these friendships that are so precious. Sometimes I look at you all and give thanks for being gifted for so much support and inspiration. Let’s continue to work and do all we can as artists and members of a community that wants to grow in positivity, creativity, and friendship. We have helped many people through helping ourselves by releasing these thoughts and ideas. I honor us. Thank you for honoring me.

Bridgeport’s Black Pride is very supportive of my work and they have been for a long time. This is another great way that they encourage my work and it means a lot. I never expected an Official Citation from the State of Connecticut and the fact that I was honored among so many great people who make huge contributions from their heart within and beyond this community was amazing. Thanks to Tantra, Chuma, Nathan P, Buddha LuvJonz, Patrice, Suselle, Alicia, Shanika, Shanna D., Aunt Carolyn, Grandmother, Crystal, Cynthia, Gina LeVon Simpson and all the others who took time to share this day with me as well as those who wished to be there and made sure to be present in spirit.

LOVE.
Shanna







No comments: